Saturday, January 8, 2011

Cast Off

Well, the cast is finally off and I'm in a "boot".  Still in the wheelchair, but therapy should begin next week, so I'll be introduced to crutches.  I can't wait to be more mobile.  The only good thing about this long recuperation has been all the knitting I've been getting done.  Here are a few of the finished projects.

This  neckwarmer was made with some sock yarn I received for Christmas.  There was only one skein of only 192 yards, so there wasn't enough to make a pair of socks.  So this was what I came up with.  I made my own pattern as I went along.  Looks great as a headband or earwarmer as well.  Maybe it looks so good because of my model (my dear granddaughter).



Neckwarmer pattern:

Materials needed:

Size 6/ 16 in. circular needles
One skein sock yarn (I used Plymouth Yarn's Happy Feet 192 yds.)

Cast on 108 stitches

Row 1:  K2, P2 ribbing
Row 2 & 3:  Repeat row 1
Row 4: Knit
Continue row 4 until piece measures 7 inches
Last three rows: repeat rows 1-3.
Bind Off
I crocheted two rows of scalloping on both ends just to give it a little character. 


The endless scarf below was a real quick project.  My fellow knitting buddy, Kim, told me about this pattern she found on Knit Picks.  She was knitting it one day when she came over for a knitting visit.
I used some very inexpensive yarn sold at a local Job Lot and it really came out better than I expected.  I used the whole skein (7 oz.).   I also used a different size needle than the pattern called for, at Kim's suggestion.  She used size 13, so I did too.  The results were perfect.  I like the shorter look better than the longer one. 
                          

Click here for the link to the pattern.


The last project I wanted to mention was Baby Hats.  Another knitting buddy of mine, Selma, recently forwarded me an e-mail about a local knit shop owner who was participating in program called "Caps for Good Campaign".  For some reason this project really struck  me.  I've been knitting baby hats for local hospitals for some time, as have several other knitters in the area.  However, the need for caps for the baby's in these developing countries seems urgently needed.   As a result, I am focusing on making hats for this cause at the moment.   In case you're interested, click here for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know that you stopped by.